Java Instructor- Full-time, Columbus Campus
We Can Code IT is the leading coding bootcamp with a focus on inclusion and diversity in technology. Our highly selective, world-class code academy is in search of our newest member. This position is for a Lead Java Programming Instructor at our Columbus, OH campus.
Compensation is akin to that of a Software Developer and commensurate with experience.
Some of the things you’ll be doing include…
- Educate and train adult students in Java, OOP, MVC (Spring), TDD, and web development.
- Work with diverse students to engage them in creative, interactive, in-person full stack software development instruction.
- Provide pre-enrollment support to the admissions team through coding workshops, open houses and interviews.
- Maintain expertise in Java, Spring, TDD, and web development.
- Keep abreast of the latest and greatest technologies and educational concepts.
- Contribute to continuous improvement of curriculum.
- Manage and update Github repositories for the current cohort.
- Give students consistent and constructive feedback on their performance, ensuring they understand their strengths and areas to improve.
- Assist in tutoring students, paying special attention to individual students’ needs so they are addressed appropriately.
- Empathize with individual student needs to ensure all students feel accepted in the tech field.
- Communicate with students via phone, email, Slack, face-to-face, and web meetings to help them through challenges.
- Communicate daily with Education team to assess student progress and map out student success strategies.
- Assist in grading and managing student progress within the course.
- Be the student advocate and liaison with employers as well as the Campus Director and Career Services team.
- Assist all team members as needed.
Who you are…
- You have the ability to lead an agile team and are ready to share your love of clean coding with the world.
- Excellent Communicator.You are kind, creative, resourceful, and an advocate for all students. You can read a room well and help students be forthright in expressing any concerns. You are not afraid to speak up and are thoughtful about your verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Experienced.Five or more years experience in an agile software development environment.
- Highly Technical. You have strong technical skills across various technologies and are familiar with:
- TDD/XP Team Player.*You want everyone else around you to be respected and honored for their strengths. You thrive on the success of students and of the team. You are solution oriented and take initiative to solve problems with the team.
- Creative Facilitator.Your goal is to break concepts down for students, contextualizing them with real-world examples. You facilitate students’ learning instead of lecturing. You model best behaviors. You provide many styles of instruction based on students’ backgrounds and learning styles. You understand that education is not just about learning the technical details, but also supporting students from an emotional standpoint as they enter into a new phase of their lives.
- Energetic and Enthusiastic.You passionately believe in our mission to bring inclusion and diversity to tech, are student-focused and won’t settle on mediocre results.
- Reliable.Your students are your focus. You know this and are passionate about their success. You hold yourself accountable and own your own stuff. You are punctual, reliable, and caring.
Job Type: Full-time