Join the team at We Can Code IT that is changing the face of tech and increasing diverse tech talent in the communities where we teach. Moving from fast-paced start-up to strategic growth, we are maturing as an organization and are searching for a Director of Education. This vital team member will be a strategic thinker, gifted in building and maintaining relationships, well-versed in business and technology, precise in their execution, and relentlessly driven to help our team and students succeed.
You must be committed to making people comfortable with the process of learning technology and software development, so that all populations can be included in the tech community. The mission of We Can Code IT is “Championing social equity through technology” with a vision of graduating 10,000 software developers with a minimum 70% underrepresented in tech by 2030.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for overseeing the quality, training, and performance/learning development of our distributed instructional workforce. This includes consumer-facing instructors in our classrooms, as well as our client-facing facilitators for our B2B clients and mentors of our hybrid or online programs.
You will be a critical member of our leadership team, reporting to our COO, to ensure we are providing scalable, high quality and impactful education experiences that drive excellent student learning and outcomes, and achieve clients’ organizational goals.
You will assess, re-define, and implement instructional quality expectations, directly managing our team of instructors. You will also partner with other team leads, and the COO on integrating instructor performance management into the company performance management practices to provide consistent evaluative and developmental opportunities for our instructors, both as educators and as practitioners in their field.
- Create and revise current program curriculum to ensure that students are learning the most current coding languages and business approaches.
- Work with Instructors to develop their adult-teaching skills and classroom (physical/virtual) management skills. Hiring and developing instructors, including keeping them engaged and defining growth paths by developing best-in-class learning practices and blueprints for new instructors onboarding and ongoing coaching and development.
- Review current criteria on ensuring student success while at We Can Code IT.
- Review current criteria in dealing with improving a student’s success or dismissal process and criteria.
- Work with contractor instructors to ensure that their skillset and program plans match the mission and values of We Can Code IT.
- Evaluate and develop instructor coaching rubrics and objective evaluation criteria that is global, but can optimize for varying local market/locale needs.
- Utilize rubrics and in-class (physical/virtual) observations to identify development opportunities of instructor facilitation.
- Contribute to Learning & Development activities across the org, including for internal employees.
- Continually access unique expertise and viewpoints from around the organization in order to ensure best practices and strategies etc.
- 5 years’ of experience training distributed field teams, train-the-trainer, and classroom and field class settings as well as virtual/online learning settings (both synchronous and asynchronous)
- 7 years’ of experience in managing and growing a team of instructors.
- Familiar with learning management systems and adult education
- Knows how to translate detailed subject-matter-expertise into learning and development plans, quality metrics, and on-going performance improvement for instructors.
- Understands the dynamics of a field distributed workforce, and how best to engage in on-going dialog in a matrixed organization structure.
- Experience leading training in a multi-market context to understand regional differences.